Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tun Dr Mahathir is here!!!







Today is a special for my university, IMU. Because Former Prime Minister of Malaysia, Tun Dr Mahathir visited IMU, Bukit Jalil.
It is a very special event for all the staffs and students in IMU. Even some of my friends went all the way to Bukit Jalil from Seremban (2 hours journey) just to meet him.
Unfortunately, today I have an OT session in Hospital Tuanku Jaafar. Therefore I dint go Bukit Jalil today, but I did enjoy my OT session here in HTJ. Because today 2 of my friends and I are supposed to attend OT session. Due to the talk in BJ, I am the only one who attended the OT. I went in at 10am, changed to surgical scrub, and went into the hallway. I quickly read through the patient's file, to understand more about his chief complain, history of present illness, site and type of injury and operation planned for him. I also looked at the patient's X ray to look at which part of fracture or dislocation. Suddenly i heard a familiar voice from the Doctor Lounge, It was Mr. Naveed. He is spinal orthopaedic surgeon and IMU lecturer. When he saw me, he greeted me with smile. He told me that I was too late for the current OT session but too early for the next OT session. Then he told me :" common, let's do some teaching and learning session." I followed him around, and he explained to me some intruments in the OT room. He also asked me how to intepret the patient's X ray.
Today i saw a case of subthrocanteric fracture of the right femur. It was a very rare type of fracture because it usually due to high velocity injury and occur in strong part of the bone. The surgeon initially did close manual reduction (CMR) to reduce the fracture. Then by using radiation digital image to look at the alignment of fracture. If the fracture was well aligned, they wiill continue to do internal fixation of the fracture.
I stand aside and observe the OT for 2 hours. I must leave the OT at 1pm because i have another class at 2pm. Too bad....i must leave before the operation finished.
Missing an important session wuth Tun Mahathir is definitely my loss. Since small i always saw him appear in the TV, and always wonder why he always in the TV. I asked my mum:" why is this guy always in TV? " My mum answered me with a smile :" If you studied hard you can be also like him."

No comments: